Open Source Musician Podcast
Episode 32 - Guitar mayhem
- http://qtractor.sourceforge.net/ -- Qtractor 0.4.4 adds (limited) LV2 plug-in support, more JACK transport options, and a MIDI event list view for editing MIDI clips; 0.4.5 came out a few days later with bugfixes
- http://ardour.org/ -- Ardour 2.8.5 http://ardour.org/node/3292, followed by 2.8.6 a few days later with fixes for Windows VST support under Linux, followed by Ardour 2.8.7 some days later for a bug fix release almost exclusively focused on OS X and AU plugins.
- Not a proper release yet, but Fons Adriaensen (of jconvolver fame, among other things) is working on an AutoTune-style app called jretune. Currently in closed beta testing.
- Another AutoTune-style app has been released -- VocProc (http://hyperglitch.com/dev/VocProc/) designed specifically for vocal use
- Banshee 1.5.3 - http://banshee-project.org/download/archives/1.5.3/ -- OSMs need software to create music, they also need software to listen to music. 1.5.3 has some cool new feature, including playlist syncing to Android (http://www.fandroid.org/2010/02/04/banshee-1-5-gives-playlist-syncing-to-android/)
- Minicomputer 1.4.1 http://minicomputer.sourceforge.net/ -- neat Linux softsynth capable of some hard, industrial sounds. 1.4.1 (and the 1.4 release a few days earlier) bring various bugfixes
- IRC User Anchakor submits this link on a midi guitar that runs linux.
- IRC User funkyhat shares a how-to for listing the real-time kernel first in grub2 using ubuntu 9.10
- LAU lister Atte (of the group Modlys) mentions a software package for taking a sound sample and changing it into something new with a software package called Fastbreeder.
- Jonathan Nadeau (aka frostbite) has launched Frostbite Systems - an online company that
builds and sells pre-installed Linux computers. The distros they install on the computers are Ubuntu, Mandriva, Opensuse, Fedora, Sabayon and Linux Mint. Frostbite will install and configure systems with Orca so that they are useable out of the box for blind users.
- Continue discussion started by irc user CafeNinja about the correlation between Geek and Musician.
- Live demo of Rakkarack and Guitarix - A call for a hydrogen style drum kit downloader but for patches/banks/sounds.
- Email from Carlos Sanchiavedraz - Musix distro
- Twitter and Identi.ca:
- http://twitter.com/pipemanmusic http://identi.ca/pipemanmusic http://identi.ca/guitarman
- http://pipemanmusic.blogspot.com http://www.deadbeatguitarist.com/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/index.rss
- http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com Forums: http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewforum.php?f=41 IRC: irc.freenode.net/#opensourcemusicians
Podcast Out! Song: OSMP-C64 Theme from Runar Sundby